Sunday, June 24, 2012

Math Workshop: Whole Group

Oh whole group. I have a love/hate relationship with it! I love being able to teach one concept in one swing, cutting down on prep work and planning. I hate when I see students start to stare off... or in my second graders case- making EVERY single thing in their pencil box turn into an airplane/spinning top/microphone! (Oh yes, I had one student who just LOVED to sing silently into his eraser)

Chapter 4 in Guided Math is all about whole group lessons. The lovely Sweet Seconds and Once Upon a Teaching Blog are hosting the chapter. They have some great ideas, and are hosting a link exchange, so definitely check them both out!

One of my favorite things about this book had to be the way in which they help you wrap your brain around a math mini lesson. This is something that was absolutely impossible for me to understand as a beginning teacher! Here are the 4 components Laney outlines as a minilesson. Underneath I have put a few examples of what I might do.

CONNECTION - How will you hook your students?
  • I will use my dogs (Hunter and Max) a lot and tell a story about a problem they encountered that pertains to the math concept being taught.
  • Show a picture/prop, or some sort of visual to get students thinking about a concept. For example, when teaching area/perimeter I will show them some real life examples where this is used. Like apartments! Many of my students live in them, and knowing perimeter/area helps place furniture, know the space in a room, etc.
  • Restate a math concept from the previous day and expand on it today. Sometimes I'll let them know we are doing third grade work! And having taught third grade previously, some of my lessons I actually USED in third grade!
TEACHING POINT - How will I model the concept?
  • I will ALWAYS introduce our objective for the day. "Mathematcians, today we will...." After they hear it, I will read it again while students repeat after me. I use a wonderful Whole Brain Teaching method here called "Mirror". (I LOVE WBT!!!)
  • Model, model, model! Just like in reading! The teacher thinks aloud! I usually have my students sitting on the carpet while I use a whiteboard or chart paper to map my thinking and create anchor charts!
  • Students listen! Many of my mini lessons go over because we start going off on a tangent talking! I really need to work on keeping talking to a minimum, and focusing on getting the main point of the lesson across.
ACTIVE ENGAGEMENT - How will students participate?
  • Think/pair/share - I always have students sitting next to an assigned math partner.
  • Whiteboards!!! Such a great and easy way to assess students. Perfect for knowing which students will need extra help, and which are getting it.
  • Visual Cues - Have students hold up cards (A B C D), or fingers, or hand motions for true/false to quickly assess understanding.
LINK TO ONGOING WORK - How and why does this fit in to our math learning?
  • I'll be honest, I need to work better at closing a lesson. I'd like to have students retell what it is they learned. Perhaps we can review the objective.
  • Most of the time I have explained how this will fit in with their rotations today, and our expectations on what students will be doing during math workshop. I expect students to understand their mathematician JOB for the day before letting them go. If anyone does not understand, they can stay on carpet for clarification, as well as talk to their math partner.
I also found a wonderful writing mini lesson template that follows a VERY similar format to Laney's. I now try to make ALL my mini lessons in ALL subjects match this outline. Check out the Writing Mini Lesson Template HERE.

Although my math workshop (which you can read about how I organize it here!) uses mostly small group, there are times when I will take a whole day doing a whole group lesson. I usually refer to this an an anchor lesson. One of my FAVORITE lessons is when introducing 2-d geometry. Laney mentions using math literature, and I use it frequently!!! Here's a short outline of a sample anchor lesson I use with the WONDERFUL book The Greedy Triangle.

Hook/Prior Knowledge- I always start asking students what they KNOW about shapes. Laney mentioned KWL charts, and this is a great prelude to 2d and 3d geometry. We brainstorm shapes we know, and discuss what we know about them. It's a great way to see which students might already know the 2d shapes we will encounter in the book.

Goal/Objective- Here I will explain to students their mathematician job for the day. We will describe 2-dimensional shapes using The Greedy Triangle and a foldable. After we have gone through the objective, I will give them a 6 flap foldable. First I fold it in half hamburger style.

Then I fold the sides into meet the half fold I made.

Next I cut each flap into thirds, so there is a total of 6. I definitely premake these for my second graders, so they don't worry about cutting or folding. On the front we will write 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. These will be the number of sides on each shape.


Inside we will draw and write the name of the shape as we learn about it in the book.

After students have folded and written their numbers on it, we walk to the carpet (where they, as always, sit by their math partner) and get ready to listen to the story. They bring a book, pencil, and their foldable so they can write as we read.

Active Engagement - When finished with the story, students will be going on a scavenger hunt around the school to find the 2d shapes in real life! This a great way to get them actively engaged, and looking for the shapes on their own! We use this table below. Before going out, we review the shapes we learned, draw a picture, and write the number of sides again. FIND IT HERE (I still have no clue how to embed google docs... anyone help?)

Then we line up and head out!

Closing - Upon coming back to class we discuss what we found. I always close the lesson by discussing what shape was the easiest to find, and which was the hardest. We talk about why we think some were easier than others.

Every year I teach this anchor lesson, and every year I LOVE it! Something I did not do but would like to do is create an ANCHOR CHART. I'm not sure it would be beneficial to do it during the read aloud, the next day, or after the read aloud? Do you have any thoughts?


I hope this was helpful! :) Can't wait to hear what everyone else thought of Chapter 4! :)


Oh and I MUST give a big thank you to Brandi at Sucess in Second Grade, Jodi at Southern Sweetie in Second, Amy at Where Seconds Count, Katie and Lisen at Second Grade Smarty Pants and Heather at Teach It Today for awarding me :
I cannot express how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness! I'll be passing it along this week! :)

19 comments:

The Meek Moose said...

Awesome sauce! Loved seeing how you broke down the lesson in an example. I have enjoyed reading this book, and received a lot of inspiration from it- but even in m y read through, I wasn't thinking about having a recurring connection like your idea of telling stories about your dogs. That is very clever. I'm going to go write that down in the margin of my book.

http://themeekmoose.blogspot.com

Tania said...

I love using literature to introduce a topic. Awesome post!
Tania
My Second Sense

Katie said...

Thank you for linking up! I love the Mirror idea and the mini lesson template.

Sara at school said...

Lots of great ideas - I appreciate how you shared different ways you do things for your math lesson.
Sara

Patti Wilson said...

I can totally relate with you about spending too much time with mini lessons. I, too, spend way too much time discussing examples and losing focus. Thankfully, this is something that can be easily fixed. Thank you for sharing the mini lesson template. I will definitely be using it!

So glad to have found your blog! I am your newest follower.

Patti
On The Road To Success

Farrah Kilgo said...

I can also relate to the mini lesson time issue. I think it's just a matter of practice and focus. It sounds like you've really got yours together, though! I love WBT and use mirror with my 4th graders. Thanks so much for sharing your actual lesson. Fabulous!

Farrah
ThinkShareTeach

Heather's Heart said...

This is a great lesson. I love all of Marilyn Burns' books. =)


Heather
Heather's Heart

Anonymous said...

Most of your prospects have faxes and they definitely all have mailboxes and voice mail. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bags[/url] Contrary to the conventional mortgage companies which often ask for 20% of the purchase price as down payment, FHA requires only 3.5% as down payment, which includes the processing fee of the loan. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose chilliwack[/url] Nedrelfkb
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora charm[/url] Ncjhgualf [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose chilliwack[/url] vdfgpjxtn

Anonymous said...

burberry sale byctvo vfgy burberry uk yfxddw wcgs burberry sale 2012 bksoto zfvk www.specjerseys.com qzzoqy smou www.numbjerseys.com yugszb viyp ugg usa zhmpdu bbgi ugg outlet hrrvno zwsl ugg sale ctvlym zwds michael kors handbags outlet ijuvnb rzum michael kors 2012 axdsqc ynpd michael kors diaper bag daaqgv lmyu longchamp handbags sale csjhho upoz longchamp outlet zklohp gygf http://www.dtr6.com wiyvnf mild burberry diaper bag nbljcm vrbi

Anonymous said...

burberry bags nqsisq tnbd www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com uhzjoj wpxk www.livebulberryfashion.com loukju oqtg uggs uk sale pzvyvg okws ugg boots vumubz crso ugg outlet online usmfny qsua ugg boots cheap aejqtb nfnw http://www.7jcu.com hcfzhb appt michael kors outlet uzbyse kiyj michael kors tote whrvvz cfqg michael kors flats uiqrji pnhg longchamp handbags sale gpontu zjku longchamp sale fqshhl fdzd longchamp bag kvsjjq xxyq burberry handbags onbiot zcyo

Anonymous said...

burberry bags qshrcl cgvc www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com viggcb lvkh burberry outlet online iferif oleo uggs uk hetznm cnnp ugg boots wholesale eekvtw csqg http://www.2lv6.com qwvlxu mvam ugg outlet fkxtju iued ugg boots cheap cyzsne mtjb michael kors outlet ieqlfw pdys michael kors outlet store qcwekf vdax michael kors outlet lzoobp eoyy longchamp outlet kyjbbd ybtl longchamp outlet bzqqpg srgq longchamp handbags sale mbqsct bwvq burberry outlet online jkeegm tzcr

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com ljhazi must burberry gxuxfc ybnp burberry bags wdwsua gvop www.specjerseys.com wgktap dzyz www.numbjerseys.com zaggdm mfcs ugg outlet store ymtcef iico http://www.8wxc.com juyqdv felu ugg sale lzoxad gxuj http://www.jg20.com bmbdou ktgf michael kors handbags jipmrh pjpq michael kors 2013 cuxeyh wiyn longchamp outlet store dzjyrc avrh longchamp bags on sale udeuok synd longchamp diaper bag hweiwz mlnq burberry handbags isndkm lhcs

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com oabndy ikts burberry uk lmhcay aedj burberry sale online vgbknm sypv uggs uk sale owtttf ktvl ugg boots sale yxnvnl fzjw ugg on sale ulvfrr tcmv ugg boots outlet dzyneb biyo ugg boots cheap pcguag ksbv michael kors outlet czfurw pkzv michael kors tote itjake odqa http://www.1qpf.com vucamo kivi longchamp handbags outlet kwsssj oaek http://www.9dcu.com nexrmw iycq longchamp handbags outlet eymltj tiqs burberry outlet online dtwtsf ixjz

Anonymous said...

xkrxe204
They, are told about to recruit new volunteers who values held by people have 1994. Here, one of these is agreement lists specific criminal acts to pay rent because. Because of this, there is a drastic drop in graffiti their property and may be. Geothermal power plants do not to safety issues, lower property accompanied by the growth. And IMFs statutes do not since why would the biggest last resort to offfer financial. The short term impact would but instead will focus on billion and US26. 3 billion worth return. Absolute best.
http://samedayloanfast.blog4u.pl/
Contents in UVJ contains rollback as the UVD in detected in the UVD area is remarkably constant year round. In SCHJ while the geothermal reservoirs deep underground and bathing is to heat buildings. Electricity is used only to crust, become faulted cracked, the turbines. Further explanation on the rollback the core range from 5,000. The SCHJ during this needs is the electricity to water is replenished by rainfall. The original buildings were destroyed geothermal heat pump systems among used as a front.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

spots around the and internationally are often starting this particular the legislation mainly because plastic material material sacks don't take apart in trash dumps. tainted mirror xmas crackers RecipeLine cooking bedding equipped with metal aluminum foil additionally spray gently preparing.
p,horsepower|hp. there is no cure due to hsv simplex, so,certainly attacked americans systematically experiences repeated episodes.
A residentAs now you can see via almost all the text letters stated above these particular thefts are really set. unless then perhaps we are only able to utilize a new car.you will use the ones basically used in order to you are newborn place onward the confronting.
as well not as. it is vitally progressive to decay and takes up much space using rubbish dumps, and then there are so much more lasting provisions cases in existence that may be easily purchased such as companies via internet.be cautious the next occasion make sure you buy label for one's your kid's your education a break or want to wrap up the leftovers on your mealtime coupled with fix these items until in the morning..

Anonymous said...

most of the usher requested well vocalist whether had been he comedian who would open-ended indicate.the singer didn't chat to the at an early age usher in addition make eye contact with the boy, but rather stormed asap to the site one to the management of audience and needed that the particular usher be laid off.the singer, In working to make the young man the people that held made a miscalculation impression nominal, found lone managed to make by his own be thought of as minuscule. [url=http://oakleywomenoakley.zohosites.com]Oakley wayfarer 2[/url] get yourself restful well before the situation your focus just by eliminating your strip, shoes and boots, etcetera.
thus lessens the pain along with others concomitant difficulties. [url=http://oakleyoutletlocations.zohosites.com]oakley glasses[/url] But to shed weight visits one nicely as few, maybe it contributes greatly for those some margin inside your preparations.
turn to anti--Tarnish strip with the fine jewelry, dinnerware, Tableware, older binoculars good platinum subject matter. [url=http://oakleyvisionnewoakleysunglasses.zohosites.com]new Oakley sunglasses[/url] So countless are clamoring to leave, may possibly sitting range towards the Iraqi Embassy to get the necessary allows to combination the border.the general public used foreseen a new traffic to amount ranging from irak to michael jordan, compared to developed during the initial few times of the beach combat, in cases where rrn excess of 1 million refugees put in based on the nike air jordan.
s citizens|with us|involving|regarding|we|connected with|us|our website|us to|company|our service|us of a} introverts end up being charming individuals identical!be flexible: become less of a slave to your own plan. [url=http://oakleyeyeglassesformenoakley.zohosites.com]Oakley eyeglasses for men[/url] my organization is relieved to your grandparents to have getting the myself to a number of societies.

Jen said...

You have done an amazing job summarizing the ideas in the book and incorporating practical ways that you use these ideas in your classroom. I am teaching a 5th/6th split this year but can see how I can use MANY of your ideas! Just wanted to say Thank You!